Hey guys, I’m back with another skincare related post today!
I thought I’d go through some top tips for preventing breakouts as I myself have found these to be useful when trying to keep my skin clear.
Morning detox – green tea/lemon in water hot
- Starting your morning with some green tea or a few slices of lemon in hot water is the perfect way to give your body a cleanse, removing any toxins and waste due to their anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This is super important as it can often be the toxins in our bodies contributing to acne and unhealthy skin. Now if your anything like me and can’t stand the taste of green tea, all is not lost! There are wide range of fruity green teas with a much more pleasing taste – Twinings green tea and cranberry is a personal fave!
- Water should be your best friend! Similar to a morning detox, drinking water is the perfect way to flush out toxins and impurities from your body throughout the day. Keeping your skin hydrated also contributes to giving your skin a natural glow, and as a bonus, water is more or less free and easily accessible 🙂
Hands OFF your face
- I myself am guilty of this one, especially when I find myself dozing of in lectures 😉 Thing is – we use our hands to touch literally everything, and literally everything we touch is covered in bacteria! So by touching your face without having washed your hands, you’re just transferring all this dirt and bacteria onto your face which can trigger an acne breakout. Touching your face can also cause acne causing bacteria that’s already on your face to further spread. My advice would be to try your best to break the habit. It may be a hard habit to get out of, as it’s often something many of us do unconsciously, but it could move you one step closer to clearer skin.
- For most of us, there are certain foods which our bodies tend to disagree with, which triggers a breakout. As for me over consumption of dairy products is more or less guaranteed to break me out. Now ice-cream is my guilty pleasure, especially during summer. I’m actually experiencing a breakout at the current time because I’ve been binge eating ice-cream; as a result of the heat wave we were experiencing in London – only myself to blame for this one – jokes on me! So be sure to sure to figure whether it’s something you’re eating that’s triggering a breakout, and if so try to minimise your intake of that certain food.
Wash those makeup brushes
- It’s probably best to do this daily, but let’s face it, not many of us have time for that! So I’d say washing them on weekly basis is more than fine, just to ensure dirt and bacteria are not building up in the bristles.
Don’t sleep with make up on
- This can seem like effort, especially after a long day at work or a night out! But going to bed with makeup is a big mistake that many still make . Sleeping with make up on interferes with the skin renewal process that takes place whilst we sleep, leading to clogged pores. This increases the chances of bacteria build up , which is really what we’re trying to avoid.
Weekly Face mask
Weekly exfoliating scrub
- The usual recommendation for using exfoliating scrubs tends to be 1-3 times a week depending on your skin type. This is one of the best ways to remove dead cells from the surface of your skin, improving the texture of your skin and making it feel and appear smoother.
Changing your pillow case
- Now this is something that I’ve begun to realize the importance of more recently! Our pillow cases can accumulate a lot of bacteria and oils from your hair and skin, hence therefore frequently changing your pillow case is a simple yet effective way to prevent breakouts and prevent acne reinfection.
Hope these tips help!
What other tips do you use to prevent breakouts?
P.s Be sure to keep up with me on Instagram , I’ve started a brand new feed so will be following everyone back <3